Tuesday, December 20, 2005

One Night at The Call Centre

I had just finished reading ON@TCC.

To begin with, I find Indian authors boring. Even though I had read numerous foreign authors I could not finish reading even a single Indian novel till the very end. It is with this mindset that I started reading ON@TCC as I was too bored and too lazy to do any other thing.

ON@TCC is a magnificiently well written book. There are not many writers (or none in my opinion) at the Indian writing scene at present who is on the same pedestal as Chetan for the sheer quality of his work and his focus on issues and problems which the present generation faces and relates to.

The book is about six people working in a call centre-their hopes, dreams and problems set in a single night. The book touches upon every issue which is faced by the youth of today-from broken relationships to career frustrations to confused moral, the book has it all. Chetan's genius is in setting the story in one night yet in being able to bring out all these issues clearly.

All in all, a joy to read.

After reading this novel I headed straight for the book store to buy his other novel, Five Point Someone, the national bestseller that is being made into a movie.

3 comments:

Joy Tonsing said...

Yeah, that's true but sometime fiction is just the best way of telling the truth.

Anonymous said...

For me i like many of our Indian authors, do try Shashi Tharoor, Arundhati Roy for beginning.

Joy Tonsing said...

I read Shashi Tharoor's column in the Times of India every Sunday. Yeah he is a good writer and I have not yet read Arundhati Roy. I tried reading The God of Small Things once but got bored and did finish reading it.